Back in the Game



This is the first round of the NYC Midnight 250 Micro-fiction contest. 5,400 entered and I made the second round of 1,200 with this story. 

The genre I had to write in: Romantic Comedy

I had to include the activity: Making a Bed

And I had to use the word: Shine

 

    I exited my bathroom after quickly using some oil-free face cream on my barren head, less shine. I could see her squinting during dinner periodically, while looking up at my smooth, shaved, forehead, with a concerned expression, like I might start a fire if I moved it exactly right. I was surprised when she suggested we go to my place. It’s been so long since I’ve dated, I guess I have a lot to learn.

“I’m in here.”

Her voice came from my bedroom, which means this could go better than I thought. Quickly, I grabbed an old peppermint I spotted on my kitchen counter and swished it back and forth in my mouth, to cover the garlic shrimp from dinner.

I stepped into the bedroom to see her tucking the bottom corner of my fitted sheet under my Posturepedic mattress. She pulled my red, silky satin duvet down, folding it ever so gently, and placed my mismatched pillows at the top.

“Wow! It looks great. Thank you.” Now let’s mess it up, I thought, as I winked and smiled.

She turned and grabbed her purse from my desk and put her hand on my shoulder.

“It’ll never work. You don’t make your own bed.”

And with that, she left, closing the front door gently behind her.

I slept on the couch that night, and every night since, waiting for another blind date. I fear if I ever mess my bed up again, I’ll never get a girlfriend.

Comments